Dark polishes look amazing, but they often leave your nails stained, yellow or discolored. Sure, you could just paint over your stained nails, but when you want to go polish-free or get a natural looking manicure, stained or yellow nails become a big problem.
There are two ways to whiten your nails using products you probably already have on hand. The first easy method involves whitening toothpaste:
- Remove your nail polish. Using a nail polish remover, strip your nails of any polish, including clear polish.
- Buff your nails. Use a 4-way buffing block or a battery operated nail buffer. File and shape your nails.
- Apply a coat of whitening toothpaste. Evenly coat the tops and undersides of your nails. Use a nail brush and gently scrub your nails. For some, scrubbing your nails will do the trick, but if your nails are still stained or yellow, apply another coat of toothpaste and let it sit for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse your nails. Rinse off the toothpaste and you’ll notice instantly whiter-looking nails. Reapply the toothpaste as many times as necessary to get your desired shade.
The second technique uses baking soda, a household product that has countless benefits, especially in the beauty department:
- Remove your nail polish.
- Buff your nails.
- Apply a baking soda paste. Mix two teaspoons of baking soda with warm water. Apply the paste to the tops and undersides of your nails. Let the mixture sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Rinse your nails. If they’re still stained, apply another coat of the baking soda paste.